Last year at our annual quilters’ retreat at Watson Homestead in Painted Post NY, four of us (Lisa, Pauline, Jeanne and I) decided to make and exchange blocks from Frightfully Crazy quilts by Janet Nesbitt. Her book features 4 different quilts Harvest Stars, Crazy Jacks (Jack-o-Lanterns), Scaredy-Cats and If the Hat Fits (Witches). Making 8 blocks of one pattern, we each will keep 2 of blocks and exchange the other 6, ending up with 2 each of the cats, witches, stars and jack-o-lanterns blocks.
My pattern is the Harvest Stars. General craziness is the technique used to complete these quilt blocks. Twelve fat quarters were stacked, cut, then shuffled so that each fabric became the star in one block and the background in another. It was fun to see the results as the blocks were sewn back together.
The craziness continued as the stars were stitched. The technique is quite a change from normal piecing, matching seams and sharp points of the star block. It was so easy!
My last task is to add the center appliqué and I decided to use Kim Diehl’s technique of invisible machine appliqué. I finally started the applique this weekend. ( There’s nothing like a deadline to make sure you get something done!) We are planning on our block exchange next week.
I hope everyone likes the results and can’t wait to see their finished pieces.
Quilting at Home!
Yes it’s Spring in Central New York.
It’s hard to believe that it was in the 60’s last Thursday! This is actually just Mother Nature’s way of letting us know who’s really in charge.
This kind of Spring day just means more time to quilt! Things like yard work will have to be put off for another day – Oh darn!
After putting the rows together for my autumn quilt, I got a good feel for the look of the final quilt by arranging everything up on my design wall.
The first three rows and the medallion have been completed. I couldn’t resist laying the top on my bed and was very pleased with the way that the warm browns go with my walnut headboard.
Now to complete the top – two rows to go. Then I plan on adding a Seminole row to top and bottom before finishing with the inner and outer borders.
Quilting From Home!
After finally deciding which Celtic patch I wanted to use for my Fall quilt, I imported a block from the Internet into Electric Quilt 5 (QE5) to re-size it for the medallion. While in QE5, I also checked to see if it contained other Celtic blocks. The very same block that I had found online – can be found in QE5! – Why didn’t I look there in the first place?
It is very easy to re-size the block in QE5. Just by clicking on the block after it is placed in a custom quilt setting, it can be resized using the Graph Pad or adjust tool. No hassle with copy machines or hand drawing.
Looking at the template, it occurred to me that I could use bias strips to complete the design. Having some strips left over from another project, I decided to test them on the template. This should work out fine.
Now to audition the fabric. I definitely want to use the green background – and now only have to decide which fabric or combination thereof will work the best. I’ll keep the fabric on my design wall so I can view it in daylight and artificial light before I make a final decision.
Quilting at Home!